Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Knot Pillowcase Dress


 I mentioned yesterday that today I would be sharing the Knot Pillowcase Dress. This is absolutely my most favorite thing I think I have made so far. When I finished it back in February, I knew it was "the dress" for one-year pictures. I am sure many of you have seen the pillowcase dresses that many have been making recently. I love them, but was looking for something more tailored to use with a special pillowcase that my mom had given me. I stumbled across a patten for a knot dress by Whimsy Couture and thought this would be a perfect way to join a pillowcase with a true dress pattern! I also wanted to incorporate a detail I had seen in a children's catalog where the ties were reversed to tie in the back with a large bow...love it! The pillowcase my mother gifted to me, originally a wedding gift 40 some years ago, had this beautiful hand stitching along the bottom of the pillow, and the fabric is just the finest, softest thing ever!!






  I envisioned Mary Kate in this finished little dress on the beach in Florida...but instead I bring you the golden fields of the Midwest :).  I doubled the skirt with and underskirt so that the lace "dress" on the doll at the bottom would have a backing up against it...the skirt was not too full...I was limited by the width of the pillowcase, but overall, I am so delighted with the finished product!  This was one of the "firsts" in adding to Mary Kate's hand-sewn collection.  Special thanks to our resident family photographer for all the beautiful pictures with Mary Kate in them...we had so much fun trying to get this feisty one-year-old to look elegant in this dress! 

Thanks for visiting today! 

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful little girl. I love this idea and how you used such meaningful fabric. How special this must be to your parents. Longview Mansion is always a good spot for pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comments. Yes, Longview is a beautiful location and we have taken many of our family photo's there!

    ReplyDelete