Thursday, June 28, 2012

1956 Bubble and Eyelet Apron



I am so excited to share this little outfit with you!  I found the pattern in the spring and ordered it off of ETSY… the other blogs I follow list vintage patterns that they stumble across in local thrift stores, but I never seem to be so lucky!  I love everything about the 1950’s style of clothing: the fitted waistline, shorter and fuller skirts (perfect for new walkers), attention to details…really, the patterns are just wonderful!  As I continue to learn new sewing techniques and hone in on “my style” I keep coming back to the patterns of this time period.  They make me feel like I am in another era inspired by the looks of Audrey Hepburn and Jackie-O…style icons!  So a really great night for me is flipping on Pandora to my Jimmy Durante station and sewing a 50’s pattern…instantly, I feel like I am back in time…watching my grandma, wearing an apron and pearls,  sew something for her little girls…perfection!  The past is such an inspiration for me!
                Kate got the most adorable little squeak shoes for her birthday.  Yes, they squeak every time she steps…and I think they are precious!  Ask my dad, after this weekend’s vacation and he might have a different version, but that’s beside the point.  The shoes are black with little white and yellow daisy-looking flowers on the toe…only problem was she didn’t have an outfit to match.  Sooooo…when I thought about what we could make to go with the shoes, this pattern immediately came to mind.  I knew black and white check gingham with a white eyelet skirt would just be perfection!  I have to say, I couldn’t be more pleased with the final design.  I love the large white bow and two deep pockets on the detachable skirt, perfect for holding the paci’s that we very much need to start weaning her off of!  The gingham bubble is so cute all by itself, and I can’t even tell you how much I love the weight of classic summer gingham!  Truly, I wish I had a bubble for meJ!  I also added a headband, black elastic with a gingham ruffle and black ribbon.  


                I think I am going to make another red version of the bubble to pair with the skirt for the Fourth of July.  The skirt is so versatile…it could be paired with many things other than the bubble and “work”!  I will list this item in the store this week.  It is a custom order, size 1.  Measurements: Chest 20 inches, Waist 19 ½ inches, hips 21 inches (Comparable in size to a GAP 12-18 month).  The bubble has elastic waistband and leg openings (please note: no snaps in crotch).   Please indicate which color of gingham (red, pink, black, blue).  Please allow two weeks for custom orders. 


Look for another ready-to-ship listing for a size 2, 1950’s pattern early next week!

I would love to know what you think!  Comments always wanted and welcome.


Jenny








No comments:

Post a Comment