Friday, October 12, 2012

Birds of A Feather Flock Together


I had the fantastically fun opportunity this week to work on a little project for a good friend and neighbor of ours!  My friend Emily recently had a little girl, adorable Eleanor...such a cutie!  Eleanor was in need of a few last finishing touches to her already adorable nursery.  Emily "commissioned" me to do three murals for the nursery that went with her Pottery Barn Bedding.  Emily is awesome and gave me complete freedom to do whatever!  An artist dream!  I have done lots of murals in children's bedrooms, but this was my first "mini-mural" attempt...and let me just say I am completely head-over-heals for working on canvas instead!  I loooved being able to incorporate paint, fabrics, trims, texture, and scrapbook papers into these mini's. 

 Another talented friend had already designed some darling letters for her room and made a beautiful ribbon mobile (you can see her ETSY store here).   She was kind enough to let me use some of the same papers to tie everything together, but to keep it from being too matchy-matchy I added a few more.  I was really shooting to combine a very artistic, loose painting style with the very child-like "cut paper" feeling that the quilt provided.  I incorporated lots of blended paint areas to contrast with the cut paper collage elements.  And I am an absolute sucker for embellishment so of course rick-rack, glitter, and some iridescent paint were absolutely mandatory! 

We did two nature themed canvases, to compliment the bedding, and one with the folded paper fans.  I thought the folded paper fans would help add more texture to the theme and help break up the unity of having three pictures exactly the same.  A have a tutorial in the works for the fans when I show off a few more I made for Kate's room next week....stay tuned!

I can't wait to see how these three look living in their new home! 
 
 
 
Hope everyone has a safe and fantastic weekend!
 
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment